welcome to my little suburban oasis, filled with flowers,fruit trees and vegetables

Tuesday 18 October 2011

First frost forecast

Part of my idea when I started this blog was to keep track of how well things were growing and cropping year on year - to be able to predict when we might expect the first runner beans or tomatoes - but another was to keep an eye on the weather, particularly late Spring and early Autumn with thier unpredictable cold snaps. There's a long held family tradition that snow is expected November 17/18th - my mother's birthday/grandma's wedding anniversary, so notable dates for us - and it often holds true, even when the week before is mild. I was surprised to discover though that the first frost for this year - predicted for Wednesday night - will fall same date as last year - http://maryomsgarden.blogspot.com/2010/10/frost.html Looking back through the blog, I can't find dates for previous years, but generally would have expected the first frost to come sometime in September, rather than as late as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment