welcome to my little suburban oasis, filled with flowers,fruit trees and vegetables

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Candlemas / Groundhog Day Weather watching

"If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
But if Candlemas Day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again"



Gardeners need to know when they can risk planting outside, when they dare move the over-wintered things out of the greenhouse without losing them to the next cold spell, so every February 2nd I watch the weather and try to predict the likelyhood of late frosts. I don't have a groundhog to help me so it's back to the old European tradition of standing a candle in the window to see if it will cast a shadow.
So far this year, Spring is slow in coming - snowdrops are up but not flowering yet, there are no crocuses to be seen and only one lonesome bud on the forsythia. As for the Candlemas prediction - today is cold and overcast but if I'd put a candle in the window it certainly would have cast a shadow!

Was that really helpful?

I'm not sure. Even without the candle, I'd have bet on more frosts and probably snow to come.



1 comment:

  1. I think no matter what the ground hog said we are in for lots more snow and cold temps.I do enjoy reading your posts on gardening,,, though it seems a long way off for us at the moment..

    ReplyDelete