welcome to my little suburban oasis, filled with flowers,fruit trees and vegetables

Sunday 3 August 2014

August in the garden - flowers


August is the time for montbretia flopping over the path,

 for hollyhocks reaching up past the hanging basket














 This year I've a variety of new pinks and carnations - mostly rescue plants from the clearance section at the garden centre. They're looking well so far but I was disappointed to find out that the smaller ones aren't very hardy. I'll need to take some of them inside the greenhouse for winter.

















 This massive blue flower is a platycodon or balloon flower - one of thoe no-effort required plants that I love.




I grew new antirrhinums this year, most of which have turned out a pale lemon with just one red so far.
 The old straggly white rose has had a second flush of flowers.



 Sweet peas are flowering regularly at last. Only two shades on them this year - deep red and lilac. They're grown from last year's seed and it rather seems like only one pod of seeds germinated.















 Dry weather has helped the rudbeckias along - one of the few annual flowers I grow,mainly for their bright high-impact colours.



A lot of veg seems early this year - and so do Michaelmas Daisies! Here's the first of them.












No comments:

Post a Comment