welcome to my little suburban oasis, filled with flowers,fruit trees and vegetables

Sunday 22 December 2013

Winter Solstice

 For midwinter, today was a mild day. I spent some time this morning pottering about to and from the shed, planting daffodil and tulip bulbs and anemone corms that I bought amazingly cheaply this week. Some I've planted into pots for hopefully some early Spring flowers in the house, the others are out in the garden.

Looking around, I was surprised how much colour is still around - the house walls are covered in jasmine and cotoneaster.



More polyanthus are coming into flower



 Unfortunately, the birds seem fond of this pink one and have nibbled most of it away.















 And there are still summer 'leftovers' - an oriental poppy with two buds, orange welsh poppies in flower and the black hollyhock is still going strong.



As I'm typing this up, late at night, I can hear birds twittering in the pyracantha at the front of the house, sounding as if they're nesting already. Surely that's not possible?




3 comments:

  1. looks so exotic to my snow weary eyes, looks wonderful,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've not had one single flake of snow yet. Just hoping it doesn't all fall in March, like it did this year.

      Delete
  2. Such pretty little flowers.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete