welcome to my little suburban oasis, filled with flowers,fruit trees and vegetables

Wednesday 29 November 2017

Planting bulbs, despite the time of year

 It's an odd time of year to be planting bulbs, but that's what I've been up to.
Firstly, some fritillaries and mini-narcissi 'rescued' from the DIY store's reductions shelf.


I thought it was too cold to plant them outside (this week the overnight temperature has really dropped), so I put them in pots and left them in the porch, where they'll be cool but hopefully not frozen. In spring, I'll either bring them indoors or just place in the garden somewhere easily visible from the house. 

Secondly, this alien looking growth. 
I deliberately bought a piece of ginger root with signs of a shoot on it, kept it in its supermarket plastic bag in a warm spot in the kitchen, and let the shoot grow. It's done better than I expected - there's a little bulb growing and it even seems to be putting out roots



So I've chopped it off, keeping a little of the original root, and potted it up.
For now, it's in a plastic bag/mini greenhouse, during daytime on a windowsill above a radiator, and at nighttime in the warmth of the airing cupboard.


Hopefully by summer, I'll have home-grown ginger to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment